Well everyone it is time again for the Commodores Corner. Let me begin by saying that this is my last season as an officer of the club. It has been a lot of fun working with all of you over the past 8 years. I have enjoyed the participation of the members as well as the support from the past commodores. Being an officer of the club has afforded me the opportunity to really get to know everyone. So if you think it is a thankless job I cannot disagree with you more.
We had a very successful spring meeting with a good turnout. We once again had a potluck lunch and the food was great. Thank you to Susan Tedeschi for organizing the meeting with Tidewater. Thank you to Tidewater for the chairs, tables, table cloths and the space for the meeting.
At the meeting the results of the survey were discussed – Thank you to everyone who completed the survey. The results will be used to guide us into the future. There were 39 members who responded
The highlights are as follows:
- Happy with the club- 100%
- Happy with the communication 97%
- Enough raft ups- 97%
- Prefer land based- 61%
- Prefer water based 97.3%
- Would you support a charge for an event --- Yes 18% No 32% Maybe 48.6%
- Would you object to an increase in dues form $35.00 to $45.00 --- No 67%
- NOTE: THERE WILL BE A VOTE ON THIS QUESTION AT THE OCTOBER BUSNIESS MEETING
- Would you support charging guest for raft ups --- Yes 42%
- How much should the club spend on raft ups --- 26.7% say $30.00 & 33.3% say other
- Do you want more races --- 75% no
- Race own boat --- 67% no
- Crew for someone else --- 50% yes
Budget: Marie gave a report on the budget – for questions please e-mail me
Schedule: The schedule is being developed. So far the following activities are planned
- Memorial day- Maryland Yacht Club -as in past years
- Trip to block Island – planned by Chris Schultz
- Leave Middle river at first light May 28th
- Arrive at Block Island –Sunday
- Open schedule
- Carpe Ventum will return in 2 weeks
- Xtasea returns in three weeks
- Delmarva Circumnavigation – planned by Joe Cameron -- Leave June 27th for two weeks
- Hunter Rendezvous
- There was a great deal of discussion as to the feasibility of the event due to finical constrains and the lack of funding. I want to thank Paul and Sybil for all of their hard work and commitment to this event – more to follow.
- Commodore's party and fall picnic
- Discussion- should we have both or only one
What should the club pay for?
There will be a vote later in the year to decide this – please have discussions throughout the year. The party will take place so the vote will be do we have both or only the party.
After such a full agenda we had a short time for open discussion because we were all starving. So we adjourned the meeting and ate the delicious food.
Once again we have a full year in front of us. We have a few new members to the club, which is great for all of us. Lets continue to grow as friends and sailing buddies and have a safe summer.